Monday, February 10, 2014

Katelyn's Birth Story

The other day I read a post about the birth of a baby and I thought, 'man, i would love to have all my memories written down too!'

So here goes: The birth of Katelyn Alexis.

It was January 15, 2008 and I couldn't tell you what the weather was like because I only had one thing on my mind. My daughter, it was her due date and Miss thing wasn't making any appearances anytime soon.  It was my last day of work for that week until that coming Saturday January 14th.  So since she didn't come early I didn't care when she came as long as it was before I had to go to work!!


My friend Elisa and I were pregnant together!! (pictured with our Momma's at her baby shower)

That Friday night I walked and walked and walked. My sister Nikki from Colorado had come in, since the baby was suppose to be there by now.  But she wasn't so everyone was just patiently waiting!  Lyndsi my middle niece was the one who walked with me, since it was January we chose the appropriate local INDOOR walmart as our walking track.  Surly this would make something happen soon, right!?!
My larger than life belly bump!

The next morning I woke up with a little bit of contractions, nothing to fierce, but to a Momma that doesn't want to go to work it was the most horrific pain of my life.  So we showered, packed our bags and went to the hospital secretly wishing they wouldn't send me away since I was past my due date!!  I arrived at the hospital knowing that my doctor was out of town, see I had begged him this previous week to induce me right then and there, but he said I needed to wait till Monday the 21st because he would be on a hunting trip all weekend.

I arrived, they checked me out and the poor nurse had some sympathy for me and didn't want to just send me home so she asked me to walk for an hour.  We walked and walked and walked again.  I was having minor contractions, still nothing too harsh.  After walking we went back for her to check me and she sadly said I have to send you home till you are more along in your labor, she left the room and I (while crying) started to put my clothes back on, I felt a gush.  Not the movie water rushing break but a little leak.  So Travis went after her and had her check me again and sure enough I had walked enough to break my water.
Aunt Nikki and Grandma Jacque!

 The rest of the day was a little less than glorious as I would be bed ridden without food and without a baby the whole day. I munched on popsicles and dreamed of steak or anything for that matter. My sister and her girls came to see me, my Mom was right by my side the whole time.  My Dad came to see us too with Zoe and when we were officially admitted Travis gave his parents the call to come from Dodge City, 4 hours away.

That evening after taking pitocin to induce contractions they became unbearable.  I wanted a natural no pain medicine birth but I saw that slipping away before my eyes.  So I bawled like a baby and asked for an epidural.  It wasn't so bad and if you can take one of those you can take any kind of shot after that!

Midnight rolled around and still no baby, everyone in the family but Mom and Travis were giving up and going back home for bed.  The nurse started to have me push and I wish I had a better time frame of how long everything happened but I don't. So I probably pushed for an hour without the doctor.  See I had this terrible fear of pooping while giving birth so I don't think I was pushing to my full potential.  After a while that fear went away as we found out the baby had pooped herself inside of me posing serious threat to her.  The NICU nurses were called in to be there in case she had ingested any of the meconium.

Soon Doctor Irwin was called in, I had just met him for the first time! But when everything is going fast and you are about to have a baby you don't have any time to worry about things like that!  The doctor had me push for a while and before I knew it, we had a baby girl at 2:29am January 20th 2008.
   

Grandma and Grandpa Heeke, right after she was born!

She didn't cry at first and the NICU team was checking her out and cleared her to be OK!  She was in my arms shortly and it was the most magical moment of my life.  Looking at her, checking her fingers, toes, and how much hair she had.  It was pure bliss and I would relive that moment over and over again if I could!!  I had a baby girl and a name: Katelyn Alexis. 7lbs 6oz 19 1/2 inches long. PERFECT!  She had some brown hair, not too much and not too little, she was perfect!!  And even more perfect with that big pink bow on her head!  LOVE, love to the end of the world is the best way to explain having your own child in your arms! She was 5 days late and I had a feeling that wasn't going to be the only time she would have us waiting for her!!

If Katelyn would have been a boy, for some reason, her name would have been Jace.
Some of the names we considered and agreed on were: Katelyn Grace.  Alexis.
What I wanted but Dad wasn't having: Kambrey.  Emory.

When we got to the hospital we knew her name was Katelyn, but Alexis wasn't decided until we were there.

 Visiting his best friend for the first time, Max Cody! My best friend Ashley and Devin. 

Proud Grandpa Sheffler!

No comments:

Post a Comment